just the latest....

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why I Love My Job

As teachers, we learn things daily with our students, but more importantly FROM our students. I have learned some very important lessons this year and would love to share my stories with you.....

1. Earlier this year, my little ones were diligently working on beading necklaces in art class. Anyone who works with (or has) small children knows that their fine motor skills are very-much still developing at 5 years of age. At any rate, I had one little one who worked for about 40 minutes, stringing tiny little beads on a rope. As I went to pick up my students from art class, she asked me to tie the necklace around her neck like the rest of the class. So- being the novice at tying things (I tie about 20 shoelaces a day!), I quickly grabbed the necklace to tie it around her neck. Just as I begin to tie it, the beads fall al over the place... they are rolling on the table, under the table... all across the room! I felt awful as I knew how hard she had worked. Now, keep in mind, if it were her that dropped the necklace, I probably would have gotten completely frustrated with her and told her to pick it up-- quickly--. However, as soon as I dropped the beads, her quick reply was "It's ok Miss Aune. It was just an accident." -- Then she began picking up the beads as her friends helped her.

2. My latest lesson learned has come out of tragedy. We recently had a close relative pass away from one of my kindergarten students. My first graders and I were trying to think of ways to help the little one cope when she comes back to school. They decided they'd like to make her cards, so of course I thought that was great. As they were working so hard at their desks, one little girl asked me how to spell the word ONCE. I asked her why, and she said (and I quote) " Because I want to write- Once you love someone, they will stay in your heart forever." How true-- and how straight from the heart.

I have truly learned a great deal from these innocent little ones. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home