just the latest....

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Firecracker cheers and shoe-tying time!

Well- the first two days of school are over, and I've survived! I do have an adorable class. Yesterday I had all 17 of my kids~ 7 first graders and 10 kindergarteners. Every year I forget how active those little ones are.... they have certainly tired me out! We had a great day together, switching activites nearly every 7 minutes or so. And- of course we had to take a couple of extra trips outside to expend some energy. I was working at school until about 5 until I decided I'd had enough. I got home last night and was ready for bed. I slept like a baby and had a difficult time waking up!

Today was a little different, as I only had the 7 first graders. WOW~ What a difference! The day was busy, but I am not nearly as wiped out as I was yesterday. It was great getting to know each of them a little bit better. It's definitely going to be a challenging year.... the hardest part will be working on a routine with alternate days of 7/17, and of course having kids who can read, and having little ones who don't recognize their names, or can't count beyond 4. My goal is to have the routine set within 2 weeks, and figure out a system to be able to work efficiently with both groups. Wish me luck! I must say that I think I am going to LOVE working with first graders ( not that I don't LOVE the K's... it's just different and new!). Oh- and I am sure that you will get sick of my school stories, but here's my "funny" for the day. We were talking about being different- and what makes us special, and I asked them " so what makes you special?".... and one response was "my bones".
Good enough! :)

It's been TOO hot here. I am not particularly enjoying the 91 degree weather we had today... it makes any kind of learning tough! It is supposed to cool down in a couple of days, and I am looking forward to that. I have no plans for the weekend, but I'm hoping to relax-- and maybe take a trip to Duluth. We'll see what comes along. Of course if it's still 90+ degrees outside, I'll most likely stay at the lake. I should really be taking advantage of this weather now, because I am sure I'll be complaining in a couple of months.

Ok- just wanted to post a quick entry so Erin will quit harping on me. I hope this blog finds all of you well-rested and healthy!

5 Comments:

  • At September 6, 2007 at 11:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love your school stories! Your kids always have such creative minds....anyway. Glad you updated. I look everyday! Hope all is well, talk to you soon! Love you!

     
  • At September 6, 2007 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Erin said...

    good entry. :-) Thanks! I love your stories too. Keep them coming. P.S. my bones make me special as well.

     
  • At September 7, 2007 at 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    April,

    I love reading your blogs as well! And I'll never tire of your school stories! As I've mentioned before....you should keep a diary of all the comments your sweet little ones come up with! Have a great weekend...whatever you choose to do!

    Love you lots and lots!

    Mom

     
  • At September 7, 2007 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Wallestads said...

    Hello!

    Glad to hear you're enjoying your little ones! I'm actually really optimistic about my seventh graders this year as well. Last year was rough, but these kiddos have impressed me on several levels already. Now, if we could just get Evan to sleep all night long so that we could get some rest....

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Melissa

     
  • At September 7, 2007 at 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I like your stories on the blog! Kids say such cute things. I am sure you will get your routine down. I agree, this hot weather is too much for me! What an awesome gift you and Erin have to be able to teach, and you both are good at it. - Mike

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home